Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Deep thoughts

While having a conversation with another bariatric patient the other day I realized something.  People who are addicted to cigarettes can stop smoking and never have to smoke again, people who are alcoholics can stop drinking alcohol and not have to drink again, but people who have eating disorders can never stop eating, in order to nourish our bodies we have to eat.  We have to dabble in our addiction everyday.  I am not discounting nicotine or alcohol addiction, I know first hand that quitting cigarettes is not easy, but I know it can be done.  I also know that overcoming my food addiction can  be done, but because I have to eat it is a very scary walk on a tight rope.  On one hand I have to get enough vitamins and minerals to stay healthy, but I have to satisfy my taste buds too.  Today was particularly complicated for me.  I walked out of the house without my lunch bag.  By the time I realized it I was too far away from home to turn back to pick it up and still get to work on time.  I had to depend on the cafeteria to have something that was OK for me to eat.  Not something I like to leave to chance.  I did OK, but was disappointed with what they had to offer.  For working in a hospital, our cafeteria does not offer many good choices.  Pizza is out of the question, sandwiches are also a no-no. Hot dogs have no nutritional value and hamburgers too fatty.  Cottage cheese and a half a cup of soup was what I chose today.  Not exactly what I wanted on a 90+ degree day, but it filled me up and gave me protein.  I hope I don't sound like I am complaining, I'm not!  I will never regret my decision to give myself the gift of health, I just wish that when I make the mistake of forgetting my lunch I had some better choices in our cafeteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment